Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Let Me Count The Ways

(Apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning.)

Back in the day when I had a real job, I had an office and a paycheck and all that good stuff.  I actually worked two full-time jobs for ten years.  I was organized and focused and task oriented.  Now, not s'much.  I know what I need to do, what I should do, and automatically start finding ways to put off doing anything.  (Taking care of the animals is first priority and, while I might run late once in awhile, they are never neglected.)

I thought it might be helpful to those Type-A personalities who are having trouble relaxing their schedules to get a few pointers in procrastination.  "All work and no play," etc.  Yesterday was a good example and fairly educational.  I'm in the middle of a paperwork project that I really don't want to do, a good starting point for a distraction exercise.

Getting ready to go to the barn, I noticed the hummingbird feeders were empty.  They could wait, but getting to the goats late would use up more of the day and put off the project.  (1) Mix the "juice" and fill the feeders.  Barn chores done, while taking the obligatory rest break I saw that an episode of "Criminal Minds" was on that I hadn't seen before.  (2) Watch TV.  Lest there be a guilt build-up, I sorted papers at the same time.  Okay, time to knuckle down and do some work.  Am I hungry?  I think I'm hungry.  Maybe have a little something first.  (3) Stave off starvation with a couple of fried tortillas.  Go to work.  What?  You have to go outside right now, Bess?  (4) Go sit on the deck with Bess Anne.  GTW.  Heading to the computer, there was a pile of laundry that I'd put off (extra points right there).  (5) Put the laundry in the washer.  GTW.  Did some work.  Don't tell me you have to go outside again, Bess.  (6) Go outside to sit in the shade with Bessie.  GTW a little while until the washing was done.  (7) Hang washing on the line.  GTW.  By this time we're well into the afternoon.  Time for a break.  (8) Go out front to pull some weeds.  Even a chore I enjoy can be put off because I remembered that I wanted to call Code Enforcement to say thank you for shutting down the dirt bike track and restoring peace to the hills.  (9) Call the County office.  GTW and actually get something done until the washing had to come off the line.  (10) You get the idea....

With a little practice, anyone can become a champion procrastinator.  However, you don't have to start right away.  In fact, I'd advise against it.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Hahaha...actually it sounds like you got a lot of other stuff done in between the GTW, so you may have procrastinated on the GTW part, but the other chores snuck in...except of course Criminal Minds - you do win the Procrastination Prize for that one :-)