Friday, April 29, 2016

Oh Crum

Man, I was on a roll.  Encouraged by another sunny day, laundry hung on the line, fresh bag of feed in the back of the truck, chicks fed and watered and their diapers changed (the cardboard under their cage), doing some other little piddly chores, and it all went to pot when it started raining (again).  I raced to get the clothes in and struggled to get that 75-pound bag of goat chow out of the truck.  Patrick had put it up toward the middle of the bed instead of back by the tailgate.  I'm not as agile as I once was and climbing up there had me laughing at my own awkwardness.  Wet chow gets moldy in a hurry and would make the girls sick if they ate it, so I had no choice.  Whew.  And then, wouldn't you just know, it stopped raining and the sun came out for the rest of the day.

Bessie Anne likes to go to the feed store.  Even more, she likes the two (always two) milk bones she gets when we get home.  With her short little legs, Bess needs a boost to get into the truck, but manages to get out by herself.  Until yesterday.  When she carefully and slowly jumped down, her back legs twisted under her and she pulled a muscle.  I'm hoping that's all she hurt.  It took her awhile to get to her feet and she limped her way to the house.  I have some doggy painkillers and gave her one, hoping it would help.  Bessie napped the rest of the day and wisely chose not to go with me to put the kids to bed.  She seems to be better this morning.  She's had such bad luck with her legs, breaking one in two places when she was a puppy and then cracking a heel later in life.  She's the only dog I've ever insured for injuries and it turned out to be a good thing, because she's sure racked up the bills.  Would not have believed a dog could be so accident prone.

Fifteen years ago yesterday was Deb and Craig's wedding, which was held here.  It sure brought back memories.


No comments: