Thursday, March 9, 2017

Attitude Adjustment

What changes a sunny day wrought!  I got down to the barn earlier than usual (I've been reluctant to step out into the muck lately).  The girls were eager to get their breakfast and get out into the pen where most just lay in the grass to soak up the rays.  Mice were coming out of the woodwork in droves.  The crew has been pretty sparse of late, with a mere handful grabbing a bite to eat.  I'm guessing thirty or more were racing around yesterday, sucking up the milk and munching their cereal out in the open.  Previously sodden turkeys with hunched shoulders fluffed up their feathers and strutted their stuff.  The chickens tumbled down their ramp, talking a mile a minute as they rushed to get to the grain.

Instead of huddling in the chair, loaded with lap cats and trying to keep Stove happy, Bess and I sat in the sunshine on the deck after chores.  Lovely.  Just lovely.  Depression gave way to enthusiasm and I actually accomplished something, including hanging a load of laundry on the line.  Outside!  In the sun!  In the afternoon, my constant companion and I moved to the front yard where she supervised and I finished deadheading the marjoram plants.  Every year they send up tall shoots with purple flower clusters.  The low-lying plants winter over well, but the flowers and stems die and look so straggly.  We then sat on the porch to enjoy the breeze.  There is a vast difference between "breeze" and "wind."

It seems such a while since I've seen the moon, and a full moon at that.  Luna seemed to be celebrating the weather, too.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh, you made it sound GLORIOUS!!! Yay for you and your critters!