Thursday, March 30, 2017

First Shot

The enemy has fired the first shot in the annual battle for the annuals.  Silly me, I was trying again to grow lettuce on the deck and the leaves had gotten nearly to the point of picking, especially on that now-nubbly mess in the back.  I caught sight of the sneaky salad sniper skulking away and went out to assess the damage.  Dang it!  Isn't it enough that the grubby, grabby ground squirrels eat the bird seed, the chicken feed, and the goat chow?  Must they take the food from my mouth, too?  It's war, I say!

I should have been inside toiling at the computer, but seduced by the sunshine, raking leaves from the herb garden suddenly became the order of the day.  I really wanted to get a head count on the peonies, and uncovered five so far.

It turned out that it was a good thing I got my dose of vitamin D yesterday as rain came in the night and who knows what today will hold.  At least the rain will keep the enemy temporarily in their bunkers and out of my salad bowl.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sheesh...and you didn't even need to put out a sign that says "Salad Bar!" Ain't nuttin' sacred? Glad you were seduced outside in the sunshine!!