Sunday, March 26, 2017

Gentlemen Callers

I prefer the 1973 made-for-TV version of "The Glass Menagerie" with Katharine Hepburn, but the original film with Gertrude Lawrence from 1950 was also great.  Tennessee Williams's term 'gentleman caller' is hard to forget.

Much of yesterday morning was spent preparing for my gentlemen callers. The corned beef for the delayed St. Patrick's Day dinner went in the crock pot while the coffee maker was doing its thing, so the day got an early start.  Thankfully, it was a sunny morning and I watched the chickens happily dashing about when suddenly they pulled a disappearing act and ran into the coop.  I looked up just in time to see a hawk land in a nearby oak.  Didn't I say chickens were smart?  No chicken breakfast for that bird.

After chores, I was sentenced to KP duty in the kitchen, peeling umpteen potatoes and carrots.  The chickens will have a feast today.  Pete arrived about 1 p.m.  We've always kept in touch and there have been the occasional visits, but it's been a long while since I've had the luxury of time with this Kid and it's a pleasure to renew our acquaintance, as it were.  Pete's was the first bottom to enjoy the other new chair, the one Bessie considers hers.  Omigosh, let a man come into the house and that dog turns into an outrageous flirt.  Women guests are welcomed, but Bess is definitely a man's dog and  Pete was a willing subject for her attentions.

Dinner was to go on the table at 3 so the guys could get out of the hills before dark.  We waited a half-hour for Harold, but no longer.  It's not like Harold to be a no-show and I had some concerns.  Pete and I enjoyed some lively conversation until it was time for him to leave.  To punctuate my warnings about wildlife on the roads, two deer crossed the hill across the way as he started his engine.  How nice to have another Kid to call out, "Love you!," on their way down the drive.

Harold called with profuse apologies that were, of course, accepted.  He'd been delayed by a lengthy, important business meeting.  I think we were both sorry he'd missed a good dinner.

Happily, I've got the leftover makings for colcannon (mashed potatoes and cabbage).  It was a good day.

No comments: