Thursday, August 9, 2018

Excuses, Excuses

Given the weather, the smoke, and my natural inclination to do nothing (I do a lot of that), I didn't really need an excuse to sit on my duff all day yesterday.  While taking the trash out of the truck and across to the big road the night before, I tripped and fell to my knees.  With my hands full of bags, I had no way to block my fall and landed pretty hard on the gravel (insert expletive here).  No blood and nothing broken, so I went on tending to business and the evening passed without further incident.  While sitting at the computer yesterday morning, one knee became excruciatingly painful.  What the heck?!  When it was light enough to see, I discovered that just below the patella was an immensely swollen area, just beginning to turn black and blue.  Oh, great.  I had barn chores to do and, knowing Inga's condition, my mantra on the way down was "Please don't be dead, Inga.  Please don't be dead."  I didn't know how I could possibly get her out of her stall if she was.  Bless her heart, she was up and on her feet and willingly came out of the barn on her own.

Back up at the house, I got an ice pack from the freezer, put the footrest up on the recliner, and pretty much stayed there all day.  It wasn't so much an excuse as a reason, and I make no apologies (other than for clumsiness).  A day's rest did wonders.  The swelling is down and there is only residual pain this morning.  I'll have to find another excuse to do nothing today.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Just a look at the sky, a smell of the air, and a check on expected temperature today is all the excuse you need to do nothing!

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad the swelling went down. I agree with Emmy - take it easy..no apologies necessary!