Thursday, August 2, 2018

Just A Minute

There were a few brief moments of note in an otherwise long day yesterday.  Smoke was even heavier, heavy being the operative term here.  As I found out later, there are two new fires, one in El Dorado county, adding to the weight of the air.  But! for a very short time, the deltas swept through.  It took me a minute to realize that what I was hearing was the sound of leaves rustling, it's been so long.  And! the breeze lifted the smoke to the point I could see the hills to the southeast that have been shrouded for days.  It was exciting!  It didn't last long, but I'll take what I can get.

Camille and I share one trash barrel and take turns paying the bill.  It was my turn and I went on the hunt for the bill, which is in her name.  I knew I had it, but could I find it?  I could not.  Drat.  In desperation, I called the waste disposal company.  "Please hold.  Your call is third in line."  Slowly, slowly we inched forward until the nice lady answered.  I had to confess my dilemma and beg for help, as I had no more information than Cam's name and address.  "That's no problem.  Let me look that up for you.  And may I have your name?"  "No!  I wish to remain anonymous!  I don't want her to know I messed up!"  Thank goodness the nice lady laughed.  Of course, I did give her whatever information it took to get the deed done, and Camille's financial reputation was safe.  Whew!  And then, later in the day Cam called.  "I just received an email saying the bill had been paid, but I don't recognize the card number."  I'd been ratted out by a computer!  They say confession is good for the soul.  Maybe so, but it's darned embarrassing.

The last couple of days I've been on a choreography kick (pun intended), starting with "Footloose."  Great music, great dancing, and I love John Lithgow.  I hadn't seen it for years.  Kevin Bacon was, of course, the star, but Chris Penn stole the show.  Yesterday, the film was "Dirty Dancing."  Again with the dancing.  I'd forgotten how terrific Patrick Swayze was.  Those lighthearted films made a nice break from the cop shows that are my usual choice.

Now I would appreciate a break in the weather, please.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ugh...more fires? But glad you got a breezy breather, if only a short one. Talked to my cousin in Redding and he said, "No it wasn't close - it was 3 miles away!" To me that is too darn close...but all is well now.