Saturday, August 18, 2018

Not Yet

Ah, well, some days are like that.  What with the heat that landed with a thud yesterday, I'm still waiting to finish vacuuming.  Of course, I'm still waiting for Cam to show up for dinner, too.  She's been exceptionally busy and stressed while trying to figure out phase two and make arrangements for the next stage of her cancer treatment, so she gets a pass.

Bess was panting loudly in the afternoon.  I could hear her over the phfft-phfft of my spray bottle.  It was time to take her out and hose her down.  Normally I leave the hose stretched out, but the fellas had, with all good intentions, rolled it up on the hose reel.  There was evidently a kink in there somewhere because next to no water was coming out and the reel was stuck.  I was struggling, Bessie was waiting, and suddenly something stuck a red-hot needle in my finger.  What the heck?!  That was when I saw the wasp coming in for a second attack.  The reason I don't roll up the hose is because I know wasps like to build secret nests behind the reel.  Bess and I made a quick retreat to the house before the Red Baron could rally his allies.  I haven't gone back yet, but I will in the cool (relatively speaking) of the morning and spray the bejeezus out of them.

Come evening, my heart sank when there were only two goats waiting for me.  I couldn't see Inga anywhere.  I tucked Sheila and Tessie in, and then saw Inga in the big pen under the oak.  Her head was up, but she wasn't standing.  Walking out to her, I could hear her making what can best be described as moaning.  Oh crum.  What to do?  I really didn't want to leave her out because of the wild things.  Bear and bobcats have repeatedly been reported in the neighborhood.  She struggled to her feet, helping make the decision.  Inga wears a collar, so I could guide her back to the barn with many stops to let her rest and catch her breath.  It was a hard choice because, if she dies in the night I'm going to have to ask for help to get her out of the barn and just hope one of the guys is available.  At least she has the security of her own room.

I know it's coming, but I'm not ready yet.