Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Boy Power

Ta da!  Thanks to the Dynamic Duo, the first shed is no longer a house of horror, darn near destroyed by rats and ground squirrels.  Ever since the ton (that might be an exaggeration) of acorns brought down the ceiling, it's been a haven for the rodents.  Clay and I had cleaned out the acorns, but the furry ones had already put in a change of address card and taken up residence.  I got such a kick out of the boys.  They had a specific goal, an outing to Great America or some such place, and I knew they were stretching out their time.  I didn't mind subsidizing their  trip.  I was getting what I wanted, too.  However, cutting corners wasn't going to cut it with me.  They'd say they were done.  "Okay, let's go see.  Hmmm.  What's all that stuff back in the corners?  I don't think you're quite done yet."  They went back to work.  Pretty soon they knocked on the door.  "We got that finished."  "Umhumm.  Let's take a look.  Oh my, you didn't move these pieces of drywall and get all that stuff behind out, fellas.  I don't want to eat in here, but I don't want to leave anywhere the rats can call home, either.  A job isn't done until it's done right."  They went back to work.  Knock, knock, knock.  This time they asked me to come look.  "Wow, you did a great job!"

I applaud their parents for giving the boys the opportunity to earn money, but, as Cam and I were saying, it's up to us as employers to teach them a good work ethic.  I hope they have a wonderful day today.  They earned it.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

What a great win-win. I hope my grandchildren will have the opportunity to work and earn money like that!