Friday, August 31, 2018

It Happens

Which of us has not, at one time or another, gone into a room with a specific purpose in mind and then wondered why we were in there?  It evidently happens with dogs, too.  Good ol' girl that she is, Bess Anne never asks for very much:  three treats every morning, two cookies from the feed store, and to be by my side at all times.  Oh, she will go out alone for a potty run, but that never takes long.(frequent, maybe, but not long).  I mentioned not long ago that I got concerned because one morning Bessie didn't come right in after feeding the goats, and found her still watching and waiting for me to come up.  Last evening at sunset I put the girls in their rooms and came back to the house as usual.  Bess was off somewhere doing who knows what.  It started getting dark and she still didn't show up.  After awhile it felt like my heard was on a swivel as I looked at the front door and then the other door to the living room.  Okay, now I'm worried.  It wasn't quite dark enough to need the flashlight I'd grabbed just to be ready.  I walked the driveway first, and that was a good thing because there she was at the head of the path to the barn, looking both ways and totally confused.  Maybe it's a case of Doggyheimers or her eyesight, but there was some furious tail wagging when I touched her side and pointed her toward home.  "Oh, gosh, Mom, for awhile there I thought you were lost!"  Believe me, I won't come up to the house from now on unless I know she's headed there with me.

The other day I heard a thump on the picture window and got up to look.  Sure enough, another hummer had hit the glass.  I went out and picked up the tiny creature.  I never know if they've broken their neck or just knocked themselves silly, but I know that hummers quickly lose body heat if not in motion.  This little female sat still in my hand, but her head was up so I was hopeful.  We sat like that for a few minutes while she regained her senses, and then she took off like a jet plane.

I like happy endings.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Poor dear Bessie. Glad you will make sure she is by your side. Sweet, loyal companion...we should all be that lucky!