Friday, August 3, 2018

Just Ask

Yesterday I asked for a break in the weather.  Well, ta da!, it was a much cooler, clearer morning, all things being relative.  It's too early to tell for sure, but it's possible the rats have abandoned my ship (shed).  I see no signs of activity these days.  Missy met me at the barn for a pet and bit of breakfast.  She's such a will o' the wisp that her visits always come as a surprise.  Her food bowl will be empty, but I'm never sure if little Miss had stopped by or the ferschluggen ground squirrels had cleaned it out.

Having had a break in the morning, it was hard to complain when the smoke again filled the air and it was 98 outside and 88 indoors in the afternoon.  It didn't stop me, but it was hard.  It's kind of nice that Bessie Anne and I are growing old together.  We both wheeze as we come back up to the house and neither of us moves faster than at a snail's pace.  Any excuse to sit or lie down is a good one, and we take every opportunity for a nap.  At the peak of the heat, I took her out and soaked her down, then turned the spray on myself.  We both felt better when we went back in.

Oh joy!  Last night was the opening game of football season, and it was a close one.  Normally, I only watch games when either the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Minnesota Vikings play, but, come on, the opening game?  I had no vested interest between the Chicago Bears or the Baltimore Ravens, but I do enjoy the sport.

I have my own way of gauging the temperature without looking at the thermometer; how many times do I have to refill the spray bottle I keep by my chair.  Yesterday was a two-bottle day.  Regardless, it was a nice morning.  I hope it's not too much to ask for a repeat.  Please.

No comments: