Friday, August 30, 2019

Blank

Not for the first time, I'm half a mug of coffee down and I'm still without a topic for the day and my mind is as blank as the screen.  Even though yesterday was somewhat cooler, we're in the summer doldrums.  When nothing is happening, there's not much to write about.  Oh, I have ideas, but I promised myself when I started this project that I would stay away from politics, religion, and the controversies of the "outside" world.  There is certainly enough of that going on out there.  I've always hoped to share the peace of the farm as best I could.

Ralph is trying to be helpful.  I just felt that oh-so-light touch on my shoulder and swiveled my chair around so he could climb onto my lap.  "I'll just sit right here.  Or maybe sitting on the mouse would be better.  Or better yet, I'll walk back and forth in front of the screen and wave my tail in your face.  Now, isn't that better?"  Thanks, Ralph.  His mission accomplished to his satisfaction, he's off and running again.

I think Michael is warming to me.  It's easy to forget that he went through the trauma of losing his prior owner and then his home.  Dogs are sentient beings and he must have wondered what he'd done wrong to be left here, and missing his familiar life.  I've tried not to push the issue, giving him time to adapt to the new surroundings and rules.  I was used to Bessie Anne, who never let me out of her sight, so it's been strange for me to have Michael, who has slept here and there in the house, but rarely in the same room or close to me (except at night on the bed).  Lately, that's been changing.  He's voluntarily coming to sit by my feet, where he gets ear ruffles, butt scrubs, and belly rubs, and lots of sweet talk.  I call that progress.

Six o'clock now and it's just barely first light, a red glow behind the hills to the east.  It's time to get a grip on the day.  Arden is coming over this afternoon.  Her Friday visits have become a ritual, and a reason for me to spiff up the house a bit (no need to overdo it!).  Michael enjoys her company, too.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ya know...if he is a service dog and his previous owner was infirm, then his whole existence after he grew out of the puppy stage, was to be a serious caregiver, and besides losing his owner and his home, he might have kind of lost his "identity" as one who serves. It would be interesting to talk to someone who has a retired police or seeing eye or service dog and see if they have any similar experiences. I think most police dogs retire to the home of the officer/owner who has had them all along, so that probably is not a good comparison. Anyway, I'm so glad that he is learning to be a dog-of-leisure now, and a bit more of a companion.