Saturday, August 31, 2019

Birds On A Wire

(Apologies to Bird On A Wire, 1990, Mel Gibson, Goldie Hawn)

First walk of the day.  I've usually got my eyes on the ground on our travels, trying to miss squirrel holes and turkey poop and watching where Michael wants to go next.  He gets to be the leader on these outings, carefully picking the best pit stops and drifting back and forth across the drive.  We were slowly working our way on the uphill slope yesterday and I was waiting for Michael (again) when I looked up.  Wow!  I counted ten vultures on the poles and wires, and there were five or so more on the fence posts and ground, and one having a slurp from the water trough.  These big birds are impressive at rest, but when a group takes off in flight and beat the air with a resounding whump whump of wings, they're jaw dropping.

I know without looking at the vines that the grapes are getting ripe.  Turkeys are enjoying an early harvest.  How do I know?  Because those droppings I mentioned are full of grape seeds and skins now.  From past experience, I know that coyotes also like dessert with their meals.

Arden and I are old friends, comfortable enough that we both dozed off briefly while watching TV after our snack, and no apologies necessary.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

When you can snooze together...that IS a comfortable friendship!!