Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Similarities

We had a not-necessarily welcome visitor as we headed out for our morning stroll yesterday.  A coyote, just about the size of GB, was down by the driveway.  It stood and watched us before finally taking off.  Helper Dude had told me about the skunk that had taken up residence in their garage recently.  Those are a couple of good reasons not to let the adventurous Mr. GB go off on his own in the morning.  Oddly, he can be off leash in the afternoon and never leave the hilltop.  Go figure.

Something about GB got me to wondering.  Was it his natural calm demeanor that got him chosen for support dog training, or did the training create the attitude.  The thing is, GB does not seem to have a sense of humor.  He reminds me of my dad:  good, hard-working, honest, loyal, and no understanding of play whatsoever.  For Daddy and the dog, life is a serious business.  GB has no interest in fetch or play ball, and I can't imagine him enjoying a rousing game of Chase Me as Bessie had.  Knowing my father, I understand GB pretty well.  He is unique unto himself.

Another thing Daddy and GB have in common is a love of singing.  Some of my earliest memories are of my father singing then-popular songs to me as a babe in arms.  After Mother and Daddy divorced after nearly 40 years, he enjoyed going to the then-popular piano bars and singing "I Left My Heart In San Francisco."  GB throws his head back to yodel every time the phone rings, "Woo-woo-ooo-ooo!"  GB may not think it's funny...I do.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

What a fun and interesting companion you have gotten!!! Yodel-A-He-Hoo!!