Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Siblings

Just as with my own Kids, Ralph and Celeste may be brother and sister and share certain familial characteristics, but they are individuals in their own right with distinct personalities.  When Celeste wants attention, she gives out tiny squeaky meows and does gentle rub-ups.  Ralph is more of an in-your-face guy, headbutting or insistently patting my leg or shoulder.  Celeste tends to be a couch potato, sleeping here and there most of the day.  Ralph is on the move, racing up and down the hall, knocking things off any flat surface in every room, pestering his sister.  He is a little redheaded troublemaker (apologies to redheads everywhere).

Celeste takes off running at the first sound of an engine in the driveway and stays hidden until she hears the vehicle leave.  Ralph's curiosity always gets the better of him and he has to come back and socialize.

Their differences are never more apparent than when they are on my lap.  Celeste usually asks permission first, jumping up unbidden only if I lag behind.  She makes herself comfortable and settles in for the duration.  Except for the weight (she's pretty tubby), I wouldn't know she's there.  Ralph springs up from the back, scaring me silly, and then his fun begins.  He tromps back and forth, checks stuff on the one table or paperwork on the other, generally making a nuisance of himself.  "Ralph, please, just lie down!"  If and when he complies, it's not over yet.  Even when his body is still, his tail stays on the move, flicking back and forth and whapping me in the face.  The one thing I can count on is that he never stays long before he's off and going again.

Celeste is a comfort.  Ralph makes me laugh.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: