Friday, July 31, 2020

Tears And Laughter

Plans for the day were thrown out the window when I got caught up in the funeral services for Congressman John Lewis.  We should all aspire to live lives worthy of the heartfelt accolades and fond memories spoken for this man by past presidents to office staff and family, no trite words of sympathy from anyone.  A latecomer to politics, I was aware of many of the civil rights events, but little of the men and women involved, and did not recognize the name John Lewis until recently.  Like Senator John McCain, he was a true hero.  I was brought to tears.

Later in the day I spoke with my friend Tinka.  Our shared laughter and memories were the perfect and much needed antidote for sorrow.

Still later, I received word that my mother-in-law had died.  She was well into her nineties and had not been herself for some years.  She and her husband Glenn had raised good sons.

It was, as they say, one of those days.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: