Saturday, August 1, 2020

Child Proof

I truly do appreciate all the advances made to make containers of all kinds childproof.  Take your eyes off a kid and they'll get into something they shouldn't.  My problem now is that as I've gotten older I have the hand strength of a toddler.  This was brought home to me yesterday when I tried to open a can of tuna, a can with one of those convenient pull tabs.  Uh huh.  I got the tab lifted and the seal broken, and then the fun began.  I couldn't peel the lid back and off.  The lid was recessed just enough that a can opener was not effective.  With a quarter-inch of tuna showing, I was envisioning having to eat the fish with tweezers.  Where there's a will, spurred by hunger, there's a way.  Armed with pliers and a screwdriver, the deed was accomplished.  When I wasn't cussing, I was laughing.

Potato chip bags take the strength of Hercules or a pair of scissors, and the same goes for cereal.  The lid on the mouthwash bottle must be squeezed and turned at the same time.  Tear strips are great, if you can get them to tear.  Trying to break the vacuum seal on a fresh can of coffee this morning was not my idea of how to start the day.  Easy open, my Aunt Fanny!

Ah well, the kiddies are safe.

George dropped off a bag of fresh-picked, fragrant basil.  I haven't decided whether to make pesto or pizza.  (Neither will be sealed.)

One of the helper-dudes is coming by this afternoon to do some odd jobs.  I'll look around and see what needs opening while he's here.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

I agree totally
I had to stop buying certain brands of drinks because I could not open them.
I use a pair of scissors When I can
Sometimes running something under hot water helps
I thought I was only one unable to open jars, but it seems to be universal.

Pliers, bottle openers and sometimes neighbors help.