Saturday, August 15, 2020

Star Of The Show

I needed to go to town.  Could it wait another day?  No.  At 103 degrees up here and knowing what the pavement would be, should I leave Michael home?  No.  Will I make the three stops as usual?  No.  After dawdling and dragging my feet as long as possible, "Come on, Michael, load up."

A/C blowing full blast, we took off.  The drive in wasn't too bad, and the A/C was a relief.  There was one extra stop at the electronics store.  Yes, I'd bought the new monitor and figured out all the wiring, but there was no audio.  Turns out the new monitors are not equipped with speakers, as the old one was.  I needed to buy speakers.  More wires, more equipment to take up what little space I have on what is not a desk but a bedroom vanity with drawers.  There were four or five kids in the store, evidently children of the owner.  One of the boys held the door and ushered me in.  Omigosh, Michael was the flower and the kids were bees, the way they clustered about him while I tended to business.  It was the same story at Walmart.  Men, women, and children all made comments about how handsome, how well behaved, and on and on.  Michael, as always, takes it like royalty.  There's no question about who is the star of the show.  One of the clerks (that's old-school, they're 'associates' now) stopped to talk to him.  As the fellow bent over, the cup of ice water he had in his hand tipped and it poured over the dog.  The gentleman apologized profusely, and Michael said, "Thank you!"  I decided that if Walmart didn't have it, I didn't need it, and forewent the other stops in town.

I darned near blistered my hand trying to open Truck's door while Michael danced on the asphalt.  We couldn't wait to get in and get the A/C going again.

We hadn't been home an hour when the power went out.  "NOooo!"  Michael and I were both panting.  No fan, no water, nothing to distract from the heat.  We were both glad it was out only about three hours and not days as it has been in the past.

Stay safe (and cool).  Be well.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Three hours without power at 103 degrees
Probably seemed like three years

Keep everything chargedup

Emmy said...

Mother bear and two cubs cooling off in our duck pond
.wildlife moving in