Friday, August 28, 2020

Nice To Know

It's nice to know I'm still trainable.  I don't think the 'house kids' have even had to work very hard at it.  Once they show me what they want, I get the idea pretty fast and seldom need a refresher course.  Everybody knows I work at the computer in the morning.  That doesn't mean they don't want attention.  Celeste comes within a foot or two from my chair and gives a small meow.  That's my cue to drop a hand so she can come up and give herself a pet.  Ralph pats me on leg or shoulder, indicating I should turn around and either pet him or make my lap accessible as he wishes.  Michael snoozes until we all go into the living room to begin the day.  He's not a morning dog.

Michael is the epitome of self-restraint, eating just a few bites of kibble at a time.  He does, however, want dessert.  After munching a bit in the kitchen, he will come and sit right in front of me, looking straight into my eyes.  That's the signal for me to reach into my pocket and pull out three tiny milk-bone treats, always three.  Doesn't everyone carry a pocketful for just such occasions?  He gently takes them one at a time.  I flash the all-gone sign, and he picks a place to nap.  When we come back from a walk, he waits just inside the door, having trained me to bring a "real" treat, usually a piece of chicken jerky.  The look I get should I be slow or forgetful is enough to get me back on the straight and narrow.

The cats are still working on "Make a lap!"  They will, one at a time or together, come up to my chair and rub against my legs, politely waiting to be acknowledged.  If I'm distracted by TV or book and fail to notice, they give a simple reminder by leaping up without invitation.  That scares me enough that I try harder the next time.

I'm a work in progress.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh what a hoot! Yes, I'd say you are very trainable!