Thursday, August 27, 2020

Shame On Me

I've been watching a lot of news lately, probably more than I should...local, state, country, worldwide, and political.  Most of it recently has been so depressing that I've been brought to tears.  The pandemic illness and death, those poor people in the south who are facing one of the worst hurricanes ever, senseless killings nearly every day by good guys and bad guys, protests that turn into riots, those who are out of work through no fault of their own and standing in line for a food handout and sometimes homeless, children who, in the interest of safety, are missing out on a year of school, cutthroat, power-hungry political figures who have forgotten whom they serve.  The list of tragedies goes on and on...and on.

I am shamed.  I whine about the heat here, even though other parts of the country are baking.  I snivel about my recent electronic problems, forgetting that I have a computer and a television (two, if you count the new spare).  I have food in the fridge and freezer that I may or may not choose to cook.  There may not be much money left at the end of the month, but I can pay my bills.  I don't have the strength to do everything, but I'm still kicking.  Yes, the smoke is a problem, but we've been spared the fires.  I live in the United States of America and have the right to vote, which you can believe I will exercise.  I cannot get hugs these days, but I have kitty rub-ups and doggy kisses.

Shame on me for forgetting what a lucky woman I am.

Stay safe.  Be well.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Ditto

We are the fortunate ones.....
And we need regular reminders
Good for you

Kathryn Williams said...

Lately it can be SO easy to forget...but what an uplifting blog post. Thanks.