Sunday, August 9, 2020

Worst Of The Worst

I was that kid who was always picked last for the team, didn't matter what sport, and rightfully so.  I was the worst of the worst.  In baseball, I couldn't hit or catch.  In basketball, the best I could hope for was to accidentally get in an opponent's way.  Making a hoop was out of the question.  I wasn't a runner, so didn't go out for track.  I darn near broke my neck on the trampoline.  I probably still have bruises from dodgeball.  My dad had a tetherball pole made, hoping I could get better.  I inherited my sister's tennis racquet, but not her ability.  At boarding school, I went out for the drill team in an attempt to stay away from sports.

Horses were my salvation.  Back in the day, there were riding stables everywhere.  I don't remember how old I was when Daddy started taking me and teaching me to ride, but I had to have been pretty young.  I know I was accomplished by the time I got my first horse at 12.  In today's crazy world, it's hard to believe that a 12-year-old girl could go out alone and ride for hours and no one worried.  No one knew where I'd gone or when I'd be back.  There are kids in the valley now who can't leave their front yard.  For years after my last horse was gone, I would dream of riding.  Even my dreams meant freedom.  Ah well.

Tiddlywinks, anyone?

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I never had a horse, but we would go and play all day. Actually I was with my friend up the street or she was with me, but I know many who lived at the beach and they would got there all day, and the ones who were lucky enough to have tiny sabot sail boats said they would just go exploring all day (and a few had horses boarded quite near the water and they tell of riding on the beach. Yep, I'm so unhappy that my grandchildren don't have that freedom, but at least their parents get them outdoors and to the beach and in the ocean.