Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Stuff Of Dreams

The California Lottery began in 1984 and was an immediate success.  People would stand in line with their favorite numbers or be willing to take a chance on the draw, hoping for the big win.  Steve and I were occasional players, as were our friends.  Our entertainment came from sitting around campfires or on the deck, dreaming aloud about what we'd do if we won.

There was, of course, talk of travel, of the far-off places we would go.  Australia and New Zealand were high on my list.  I'd never forgotten the movie "The Sundowners" (1960, Robert Mitchum, Deborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov).  Steve wanted to return to a lot of the places he'd been in his ten years in the Navy.  We would set up trust funds for our children; we'd be so rich we could afford to be generous.  Steve's Christmas lists always ran to pages, and he said he'd go shopping and fulfill his heart's desire (scary thought).  Up here, Steve's ambition was to add a third story onto the house...one big room for his endless projects and my crafts, with windows all around for an even better view of the hills and trees.  Totally impractical, but it was a dream, after all.  I wanted a garage.  I still do.

What would I do now?  For starters, I'd tear down all the broken wood and barbed wire fencing on the property and replace them with those lovely white (PVC?) fences I drive past and envy.  I'd replace the decrepit goat barn, falling to pieces after the tree fell on it.  I would hire a once-a-week housekeeper who would keep the house dust free (hey, it's my dream).  Somehow, and I don't know how, there would be a lawn in the front yard with a sprinkler system to keep it green.  I would install an air conditioner!!  (That should have been first on the list.)  Ah, well.  Dream on.

I guess I should buy a ticket.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: