Sunday, November 25, 2018

Another Break

After another night of rain, the sun came out yesterday, which was good for me because I needed to (make that had to) make a trip to town.  There hadn't been time before Thanksgiving and I certainly was not going shopping on Black Friday!  After paring the list to bare essentials, I only had stops at two small stores in the "newer" section at the east end of Old Town.  There was very little traffic getting there; it was on the way back that I hit the wall.  That same little stretch of road was jam-packed with bumper-to-bumper cars.  Where did they all come from?  When you're in it, you're in it and there's nothing to do about it.  If a car coming from a side street was foolish enough to want to join the train, I let 'em in.  What was another car going to hurt?  Evidently these people were leftovers from the Black Friday mania epidemic.

With all the shoppers in town, there was very little traffic on Cedar Ravine and Bucks Bar.  There was time to enjoy the beauty of the changing colors in the forest.  Politics aside, looking at the three or more inches of fallen leaves and needles blanketing the ground, I thought it would take an army with rakes to clear the floor, and then what could be done with the mountains of leaves?  I'm not sure that's a feasible plan.

With just the few days of rain, the creeks and river were flowing again.  They'd dried to just a trickle.  If we get another day or two of sunshine, I might be able to mow again without fear of striking a rock and sparking a fire.  I also need to bring more wood to the porch.  After gorging on Friday, Stove's appetite diminished, but he ate up a good amount yesterday, too.

I did not wear the pig hat in the evening and the chickens went calmly to bed.

Town notwithstanding, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad the chickens behaved and the trees on your drive were pretty!