Monday, November 19, 2018

Beauty And The Beast

Helper Dude came early in the day and gave Bessie Anne's nails a much-needed trim.  Time slips by and I didn't realize how long her nails had gotten until I heard her tick-tick-ticking across the kitchen floor.  HD is always so very gentle with her, but Bess is not a fan of pedicures.  He uses a very quiet Dremel tool to smooth rough surfaces after clipping and I think she doesn't like the vibration.  Being flipped on her back doesn't thrill her, either.  She doesn't fight the indignity, but, oh, the look in her eyes.  HD is well-practiced and the whole procedure takes less than ten minutes.  Ta da!  Bess gets up, shakes herself off, and looks to me for the treat she knows I'll have for her.  That, and lots of reassurances that she looks beautiful.  I'm sure she must be more comfortable now.

Later on, it came to me that the house was not warming up, even though the sun was shining.  I weakened and decided to light a fire.  Where I go, Bess goes, and we went out on the porch to get wood.  She showed particular interest in a spot in the corner by the rack.  Hmmm.  There was a splotch of blood and the one organ (I think it was the stomach) that predators will not eat.  I've found such squirrel remains before, but never so close to the house.  Whatever beast it was had been pretty darned bold.

The Seahawks played a tight game, the Steelers came from behind to win, Bowyer made the top ten in Stage 3, but the Vikings were just miserable.

Larry called from Hawaii, the house was warm, it was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw sounds like a good day indeed. I saw a photo and thought of you and Bess...and I don't think it was a joke. It was a dog in like a sling or a hanging baby seat type of contraption with a large swath of fabric beneath the belly. The doggie was hanging in a doorway at a good height for the nail trimmer, and voila...it was fast. Glad no more tick ticking on the floor!