Sunday, November 4, 2018

Can't Help Myself

I'm so predictable.  I swore I would not launch into criticism of the time change this year, my semiannual rant.  It's not working.  Where's that extra hour of sleep they kept promising?  I dutifully turned my clocks back last night...what had been the reasonable bedtime of 11 p.m. became the way-too-early 10 o'clock.  I'm at that stage in life where five hours is a good night's sleep and boink! when the eyes open, I'm awake.  That's why I'm drinking coffee and sitting at the computer at 3:15 a.m.  It's going to be a long, cranky day.  There is a measure on the ballot to allow California to join Arizona in stopping time change.  Want to guess which way I'll be voting?  Yup, you'd be right.

I had plans to do this, that, and the other thing yesterday, forgetting that Saturday is the day to watch back-to-back cooking shows.  That's okay, there'd still be time after the last one to get stuff done.  Maybe not the trip to town, but some stuff.  Then I made the mistake of doing a quick channel flip and discovered that the Breeder's Cup races at Churchill Downs were coming on.  Even more than NASCAR, I love horse racing.  I was pretty lucky with my imaginary bets, especially in picking the winner of the last race of the day.

Guess who showed up to meet me at the barn yesterday?  After such a long time gone, there was Missy again.  I don't know where she's been or why she stopped coming here, but the poor little girl was so skinny it hurt my heart.  Since I quit taking food down for an absentee cat, all I could do was apologize for being empty handed.  Before bringing the goats out, I sat on the stand with her and she climbed right onto my lap, purring loudly.  I hope she gives me another chance today because I will come bearing breakfast, for sure.

NASCAR is running in Texas today.  So much for getting anything done.  Oh well.

No comments: