Friday, November 30, 2018

When It's Time

Because I know how much work it is for the Kids to bring up and split firewood, I'm pretty frugal with it (I get yelled at for that).  If a jacket in the house works, Stove sits empty.  My personal barometer is my face.  If my cheeks are icy, it's time to bring in a load of wood and put Stove to work.  Yesterday was such a day, and it wasn't just that the storm of the night continued into the morning.  The rain came on and off and the wind was fierce and the house got cold.

I was spared a soaking during chores, catching a moment of drizzle instead of a downpour.  It's all in the timing.  So far, so good with the trees.

It wasn't just me who appreciated Stove.  Celeste finally detached herself from my lap to stretch out in the luxurious heat.  Ralph was busy doing Ralph things and Bessie Anne took advantage of having her dog bed to herself.

I've been playing refrigerator roulette.  I am a compulsive saver of plastic containers and the fridge was packed with Thanksgiving leftovers in yogurt, cottage cheese, and sour cream cups.  Looking for the yams, I find the gravy, etc.  Pulling out the right thing on the first try is like winning the lottery.  A solid week of eating turkey every day is about enough.  I made a tetrazzini last night with the last of the bird and a lot of vegetables and will share it with Camille.  That will save me from eating tetrazzini for another week.  No wonder I fix turkey only once a year. 

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I bought a bone-in breast this time. I know that doesn't work for you, but that little 6 pounder was enough for 2 meals for 5 plus left overs for all. Worked for me!!!