Thursday, November 1, 2018

Make Your Move

A day of company (or a trip to town) followed by a day of rest; that seems to be the pattern anymore, and not much got done yesterday.  The girls had let me know from the beginning that they did not like the dry cob feed.  I did tell them that the sooner they finished the bag, the sooner I could go get them the sweet cob they prefer, but they don't listen to me.  Now we just go through the motions because Sheila might crunch a mouthful or two in the morning before saying she's full and Tessie won't even get up on the stand.  I understand, but there is a problem:  I have real trouble with the weight of the bags, and there is a lack of space in the barrel.  Maybe the chickens would eat dry cob, but it is still in the now-opened sack, which would make it more difficult to move back up the hill.  The goats aren't going hungry because they can fill up on alfalfa and the dry grasses in the pen, but still.

The day-to-day tragedies of late, the political news and constant mud-slinging by candidates for office is depressing.  Looking for some lighthearted relief, I sorted through recorded programs and came across "Goodbye Christopher Robin."  A movie about Winnie the Pooh...that should do it!  Wrong.  It is a beautifully filmed, heart-wrenching biographical story about parents unable to express emotions and the little boy desperate for affection.  Spoiler alert: it did have a satisfactory ending.

I waited until well after dark before putting on my lighted hardhat to go out and move the chickens to their new home.  I was a bit worried about possibly waking and picking up Stanley.  That boy has some wicked spurs that could do some real damage.  Moving the first three went without incident, the chickens hardly opening their eyes.  The fourth had realized she was alone and was the only one who protested being picked up.  I explained it was for her own good and would keep her safe from the wild things, but, like the goats, she didn't listen.  I got them tucked in and put the door in place.  Whew.  All's well that ends well.

It hadn't gotten even into the 70s yesterday and the temperature drops heavily at night.  Doors are shut and the jacket stays on.  Hey, I'm not complaining!

It sure made for a spectacular sunset...a good day.

No comments: