Saturday, November 3, 2018

Work It Out

As one does given a new situation, it takes a while to adapt and work things out.  Yesterday I figured a way to cut at least one back-and-forth trip while tending to the chickens .  Stanley likes the new pen.  He doesn't have to run as far to catch the girls to get his morning jollies.  I'm not sure the ladies feel the same.

The servants got a workout yesterday.  They washed clothes and did dishes.  I just can't convince them to do the followup.  I still have to hang the laundry and fill the cupboards.  As my father would say, "You'd complain if they hanged you with a new rope."  Sigh.

I have mechanical servants; Bess has me.  Since she has lost her hearing, there's no such thing as an "indoor voice."  If I'm not paying attention or moving too slow to suit her highness, she gives a short, loud bark.  If my mind is elsewhere (and it usually is), it can scare the snot out of me.  "Open the door NOW."  "I want my cookie NOW."  "Boost me up on the bed NOW."  Of course, I rush to do her bidding.  I do what the cats want, too, but they don't yell at me.

For whatever reason, the wild things are slurping up water like crazy.  Their big water pot (several gallons) is nearly empty every morning  That's not unusual in the heat of summer, but it is in this cool weather.  Ah, well, mine is not to wonder why, my job is to keep them hydrated.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

You are a darned good servant to the critters!!