Friday, January 22, 2021

Do Or Don't

It was sunny, but a bit brisk on our morning walk, hardly surprising for January.  Back in the house, I heated the beanbag and, still wearing my puffy jacket, sat down to watch the local news and warm my hands (should have worn gloves outdoors).  Rain and even snow are in our forecast.  That's a maybe, what I knew for sure was that the house was cold.  My litmus test for how chilly it is indoors is...can I feel my cheeks?  The answer yesterday was no.  Then I was faced with my winter conundrum.  Do I light a fire and use up wood that the Kids worked so hard to provide, or don't I and try to figure alternate ways to get warm.  I decided to take the advice of a friend who had told me, "Light the fire!  They did all that for you because they didn't want you to be cold."  As I brought in an armload of wood, I rationalized (I know...too much time alone) by thinking that I was being proactive...if I warmed up the house yesterday, maybe any residual heat would save lighting Stove today.

The cats stretched out in front of the hearth and Michael relaxed and uncurled from his "I'm a Husky in the snow" position.  I could feel my fingers and face.  In fact, even back here in the bedroom I can feel my hands now, a morning rarity.

I was faced with a do-or-don't situation.  I'm glad I did.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: