Saturday, January 30, 2021

Spa Day

Ahh, the luxury of an afternoon at the beauty parlor.  The decadence of being laid back and having your hair washed with warm running water with scalp and neck massaged by gentle hands.  Then the blow dryer fluffing and styling your locks, and you walked out a new woman.  Yes, I remember it well.

Yeah.  Yesterday was nothing like that, although I did get a haircut.  Candy came at the appointed hour, bundled for the cold, and I stepped out onto the porch, both of us masked.  Likewise garbed for winter, I sat down on the wrought iron chair and darn near froze my tush.  There was little small talk between us as Candy went to work on the unruly wreck that had become my hair.  It was raining and though it wasn't gale force, that wind was with us still.  Scissors clipping and shears running, it didn't take long to get me back to the Judi Dench look I've come to favor.  I really enjoy Candy's company and normally we'd sit in the kitchen and share a drink or a cup of coffee when she'd worked her magic...not yesterday.  "Thanks.  Be safe," and she headed for her car, presumably with a heater, and I stepped shivering into the house.  Lacking what warmth my distressed dandelion hair had provided (I'm down to about a half-inch cut now), I pulled on a knitted stocking cap.  I didn't even look in a mirror until bedtime.  Yep, it's me and Judi all over again.  I went to sleep with the covers pulled over my head.

Let's just say a spa day, it wasn't.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: