Thursday, January 21, 2021

In And Out

Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Repeat.

At first thought, I'd felt bad that the inauguration of our 46th President would have none of the cheering crowds of the past, that he was somehow being cheated of the trappings of his office and the ceremony.  It was nothing like that and, in fact, in many ways it was better.  Like 46 himself, there was a calmness and orderliness to the proceedings.  All of the traditions were observed:  the swearing in, the laying of the wreath at Arlington, the motorcade and walk to the capitol without the chaos of the crowds.  This was the 14th inauguration for me, and the first one I could actually see unimpeded from start to finish.

It was reassuring that President Biden and Vice President Harris took off their coats and went right to the business of running the country in the Oval Office and the Senate.  I felt like I could breathe again.


A couple of days ago we had one of the hardest winds ever.  It moved furniture on the deck and blew screens off windows.  I'm pretty sure there is an oak tree's worth of leaves on the porch.  Fortunately it didn't last long, but it was a doozie as it swept through.  Now the sweeping is up to me.

Stay safe.  Be well.  The grownups are in charge.

No comments: