Monday, January 11, 2021

Sidetracked

Once established, a routine shall not be altered.  Sorry, that's the rule.  Interruptions throw everything out of whack.  The morning routine goes like this, in order:  so much time for the blog, so much time for FB, so much time for email, so much time for solitaire (somewhat dependent on whether I'm winning), so much time to read whatever news is on the 'home page,' and then turn off the computer and get on with the day.  Sitting with a blank screen in front of me, I was contemplating the topic of the day when the phone rang.  I wasn't the only one who woke up late yesterday.  It was my daughter, and a call from a Kid trumps any routine and always will.  We slurped our coffee at either end of the line while chatting, and before I knew it, coffee and blog time were gone.  It was on to FB, etc.

Once sidetracked, my train of thought is derailed.  Steve used to say I looked like a duck in a shooting gallery as I'd start one way, get distracted, turn to go the other way, go back to Plan A...you get the picture.  It was like that all day yesterday.  Michael provided my only reason to stay on course, bless his doggie heart.  A lot got started, not much got finished, although I highly recommend watching '84, Charing Cross Road' (1987, Anne Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins).  It's a gentle, intelligent film about friendship, and a balm for these troubled times.

I hope to get my engine on track again today.  Helper Dude is coming to knock a few more chores off the lengthy list, so there will be some structure.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: