Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Good Job

A good handyman is worth his weight in gold, and this Helper Dude is a treasure.  We set a date and time and he shows up on schedule.  (They don't all do that.)  I have a system for working with these guys...they come, we discuss the job(s) at hand, there is time for Q&A, and then I go in the house and leave them to it.  I might go out once in awhile to offer water or coffee, and possibly throw in a suggestion to make the task easier if it's a job I or Steve had done before.  I don't believe in micromanaging.  There have been gentlemen in the past who did sloppy work or dogged it to extend their time.  They weren't asked back, but they've been few and far between.  Let's face it, I need help here, and, boy, I'm lucky on this go-round.

Yesterday HD came, we laid out a plan, and he went to work.  He trimmed the front hedge and lilacs that had become overgrown and straggly, then went down to the road and cut back some buckbrush that was blocking my view when leaving home.  Buckbrush might be a misnomer, but it's the term the locals use for some wild tree/shrubs that spring up everywhere and quickly get out of hand.  They're a pain in the patoot.  All the cuttings were added to the remaining burn pile, which he lit and disposed of, and a burn pile must be watched.  Then he cleaned the roof gutters and blew the leavings off the deck.  All of this, which, if left to me and I could have done it in the first place, would have taken weeks, was accomplished, and done well, in four hours!  As I said, he's a treasure.

The old homestead is starting to shape up again, and it was looking pretty bad.  HD asked, "What's next?" and we went over my list for the future.  With property this size, there's always going to be something.  It's a never-ending project.

Good job, Dude!

It was a good day.

Stay safe.  Be well,

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah I'm SO happy you have a good Helper Dude. Makes me smile!