Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Time Travel 101

I didn't do much (yes, again), but my mind was busy, busy, busy yesterday.  It started on Monday when I had a doctor's appointment and couldn't do a darned thing about my hair.  It was embarrassing...no matter what I tried, I looked like a dandelion gone to seed.  Ah, well.  What I need is a haircut!

That started the mental wheels turning.  Once upon a time, long, long ago, there was a catch-phrase "Shave and a haircut, two bits" (that's a quarter, kids) that some enterprising advertiser turned into "Shave and a haircut, Bay Rum."  Burma Shave, a competitor, began putting up a series of small signs along the roads with little rhyming ditties, always ending with "Burma Shave."  There were no billboards back in the day, and this was an amusing way to promote a product.  I used to look for them on our Sunday drives (our weekly amusement back in the day).

Ah, yes...Sunday drives...these were leisurely trips, usually with no destination.  I liked it a lot when Daddy would end up on the road somewhere out in the country with the Orange Julius stand.  The stand was the shape and color of an orange, and to the then young me, the drink was exotic and delicious.  When I say the drives were leisurely, one has to know that the speed limit on the Arroyo Seco freeway, the first "freeway" in the country (1939), also known as the Pasadena Freeway, was a whopping 45 mph.

Builders back in the day were faced with challenges.  The Orange Julius orange stand wasn't the only building representative of its name.  When it was Daddy's treat, we'd sometimes go to The Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood/Los Angeles, and it was, in fact, shaped like a hat.  Hot dog stands were frequently in the shape of...you guessed it, complete with bun and mustard.

Ah, well.  I still need a haircut.

No comments: