Sunday, January 31, 2021

Then vs. Now

Sometimes I really wonder about myself.  This isn't the first "Dench" haircut I've gotten, but sitting in the living room with a stocking cap on, I couldn't remember my head ever being this cold.  Well, duh.  On reflection, I remember I'd gotten the Dench in summer.  And why?  Because it was so hot it felt like my hair was on fire and I was sure I could smell smoke.  I guess it's me and the cap for the duration.

There have been a couple of times in the last week (like today) that I've slept in past daybreak.  That is not like me at all.  I much prefer getting up early as those hours before dawn are "my" time.  After sunup, I shut down the computer and gear up for whatever the day may bring.  This recent aberration may be because the bed is snuggly warm and the house is frigid cold, but how do I know that in my sleep?  I could set the alarm, I suppose, but there's a problem with that.  We've had so many frequent power outages that it became tiresome to change the time.  My bedside clock is ancient, not one of the spiffy digital jobs like on the oven.  Besides, I kind of like the challenge of translating time.  "Let's see...the clock says 10:30.  Take away three hours, so it must be 7:30 now."  Ta da!  The things I find to amuse myself.

Well, it really is 7:30 and the sun is peering through a heavily overcast sky.  Time to get dressed and gear up.  Now where did I put my stocking cap?

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Hope you can keep warm HEAD to toe :-). I have not used an actual alarm clock since I got my iPhone. I love that I can set it for any time and it will ring that one time, or I can set it to that time daily, or several times a week or only weekdays, etc. AND it keeps the setting, so if at a later time you want that same time, it's still there. And it's much easier to set than a clock radio!! And if charged, it doesn't matter if your power has gone out.