Friday, January 15, 2021

The Other Kind

Some days funny stuff happens, thoughts and/or topics spring out of nowhere, and the words just flow.  This is not one of those days.  Hadn't spoken to Camille for a bit so called her yesterday just to say hi.  She answered.  It turned out she had returned from the hospital the day before, having fallen, broken her hip and hand last week, and had already had that hip replaced.  And she was already home!  Back in the day, those injuries would have meant a month in the hospital.  She's been set up with caretakers, therapists, equipment, etc., and seems in good spirits.  Her mom was to arrive last evening.  There's not much I can do for her but deliver a meal or two.  Having had my own share of trip-and-falls, I truly understood when she said the accident had happened in a second with no time to react.  Dang!

I'm feeling the loss of another friend.  I hadn't seen Harold in some long while, but we talked almost every week.  I tried for some time recently to contact my self-proclaimed "boyfriend" (our private joke).  No answer, no answer, no answer...and that's not like him.  And then his phones were disconnected.  Harold was 91 and in poor health.  I miss him.

There are good days, and then there are the other kind.

Stay safe.  Be well.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Yes, at our age we tend to lose many friends or suffer with them as things get harder.
The political news doesn’t help...except there is unlimited items to keep us busy watching.
Be well, take care, get vaccine...which seems to have an erratic way of being distributed here...here in California.

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw I'm so sorry that you lost a friend!!