Saturday, January 2, 2021

Where You Find It

Two days in to 2021 and it feels like the script has been written by Aldous Huxley ('Brave New World' 1932), the New Year's Eve ball dropping into an empty Times Square, no Rose Parade (only the fourth time since 1891).  This is definitely not the time to ask, "What next?"

I'll take peace and joy where and when I can find it.  This is the time of the full Cold Moon, also known as the Long Night Moon.  The earth has turned just enough for me to see the full moon rising behind the hills and pines to the east from my living room chair, and it's framed perfectly in the picture window.  It's breathtaking.  There I sit, lap loaded with warm fur, and take in the spectacle Nature has provided.  That's joy.

Sitting quietly in the sunlight with Michael in the afternoon is peace personified.  For that period of time, there are no worries, no concerns.  In the past, friends have come up with the express purpose of sitting alone on the deck, needing and allowing that peace to fill their soul.  No one could understand better than I (and Michael).

Michael, undemonstrative dog that he is, has taken to giving me those small licks known as kissies more frequently.  Getting an Academy Award could not mean more.

Our morning walk is a litmus test for how the day is going to go for me.  There are those days when the joints creak and the back is hunched, but they're outnumbered by the "My gosh, nothing hurts today!" days.  So far, so good.  I'll take it!

Money has nothing to do with peace and joy (and that's a good thing!)  They're in the smallest things in life.  Huxleys' apocalyptic viewpoint aside, you just have to know where to look.  Make the most of your 2021, and go outside and look at the moon.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: