Thursday, January 18, 2018

Better Than Good

It wasn't just a good day yesterday, it was a great day!  There was time to get some chores done before my friend was due, and there was only one hiccup.  I'd left the vacuuming to last as always when company is coming.  It only makes sense because of Bessie's messes.  She brings in twigs and bits of leaves every time she comes into the house.  I had just started sweeping when I noted puffs of dust and trails of dirt left behind the vacuum.  Oh crum.  Now what?  I found a plugged hose, cleaned that out, and started again.  The problem only got worse, this time with clouds of dust spewing.  My efforts in dusting had certainly been an exercise in futility.  What I didn't have time for was a major overhaul on the machine, so put it away to deal with another day and hoped for the best.

I needn't have worried.  Tinka was more interested in my technicolor face than giving more than a glance at the house.  I had cleverly worn a purple top that was color coordinated with my shiner, which, by the way, is truly now purple and not black anymore.  It evidently had been some years since Tinka had been in Placerville, so I took us on a bit of a sightseeing tour on our way to the restaurant and she commented on how things had changed over time.  With rain looming in the forecast, we were given an absolutely perfect day for our outing.  We even saw bright patches of narcissus or daffodils on the way.

We talked and laughed all day.  I didn't get a chance to pull my joke on our waiter, who was a very, very serious young man.  Just as well.  I told Tinka my plan and she said if I did, she'd hit me and then I'd look like a raccoon.  Lunch was oh, so good, and I was delighted to find Crab Rangoon on the menu.  That is crab and cream cheese in a wonton wrapper and fried, and a favorite of mine for years.  Time flew by and we were still talking.

I count my friends by quality, not quantity, and I am so proud to call Tinka my friend.  Reluctantly, our day together came to an end.  It was a better than good day, it was excellent.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw, I'm grinning. (For those who don't know, "Tinka" [Katherine to everyone else around except relatives] is my aunt, even though she was only 5 when I was born, and Bo was only 1 1/2 when Tinka was born, so they match quite well.) And YES, Crab Rangoon is a wonderful way to start a Chinese Food meal! Your choice of a purple hat was brilliant, and I'm glad that you did not become a raccoon!