Thursday, January 11, 2018

I Dood It

I wonder how many remember Red Skelton, the comedian who had many characterizations, including "Junior, the mean widdle kid," who, when confessing to some mischief would say, "I dood it."

The morning was shrouded in fog yesterday, damp and cold, and I wasn't about to go driving in that.  Dawdling and fiddlefarting around, I wasted most of the morning until the fog lifted, leaving just a grey drizzle and taking away my last excuse.  The cats still had food in their bowl, but their treat bag had only crumbs and I feared a mugging if I ran out of goodies.  The only time Celeste gets pushy and very vocal is when she wants a treat.  Ralph just gives me The Look.

The roads were surprisingly empty of traffic on the way to town.  How nice it was to get into Diamond Springs and find sunshine.  (Nature must like them best.)  I was in and out of two stops in an hour and was on my way back home, back into the drizzle I'd left.  I did buy new shoes so I could quit wringing out wet socks, and also a space heater for the bedroom.  Sometimes this room is so cold in the morning that I can't feel my fingers; hard to type that way.

Tessie pulled her "maybe I will and maybe I won't" act at bedtime.  Inga can't wait to get into the barn, Sheila goes in after checking it out, and then there is Tessie.  Some day I'll open her door and she goes right in, and then there are days like yesterday.  I go in, put down her treat, and stand and wait.  She comes as far as putting her nose in, and then backs off.  I sit down to wait her out.  She comes to the door, then walks away.  Again and again.  I get impatient and pretend to shut the door.  She pushes on the door, I open it, she puts her nose in and walks away.  Tired of waiting, I go out to lock the gate to the big pen.  She stays just out of grabbing reach.  I go back in the barn as I explain she really doesn't want to get left out overnight; it's cold, wet, and wild things go on the hunt in the dark.  Tess looks me in the eye as I talk, appears to think it over, and ambles into her room like she hadn't made me a crazy person and what was I upset about anyhow.

Trip to town, check.  Goats in the barn, check.  Time to sit down, take a breath, and say, "I dood it."

No comments: