Saturday, January 27, 2018

Crescendo

If yesterday was a piece of music, everything that happened during the day was a prelude to this fabulous crescendo at the finale.

Bessie's eyesight isn't quite as bad as her hearing, and she caught sight of Missy crossing the pasture while I was in the barn in the morning.  Intruder!!  Between the cat in the pen and the dog sounding the alarm, the goats were spooked and feeding did not go as well as could be hoped.  Bess and I walk back up to the house together after chores.  If she finds something interesting on the way, she comes to the door and asks to be let in a few minutes after I go in.  I got busy with one thing and another so it was awhile before I realized she hadn't come to the house.  That pushed my worry button.  Bessie Anne is getting up there in dog years, approaching fifteen, and this break in routine scared me.  I went out to look for her, afraid of what I might find.  My goofy girl was at the fence line, keeping an eye on the strange cat.  It was cold out there, so Bess took my word that we would be safe and decided to come home.  I don't need this kind of drama.  Whew.

My friend Arden was coming for a visit in the afternoon, so I dusted (no, really!), did some other prep stuff, and pretty much kept on the move all day.  Arden arrived bearing chip and dip and we munched while having a nice chat, talking of "shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."  We walked out together as she was leaving (those are her taillights on the left) and we stood in awe for a moment at the blazing sky.  She drove off and I put the girls to bed.  The music died down and day was done.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

That sunset was unbelievably beautiful. Thank you so much...and glad Bessie was ok!