Saturday, January 13, 2018

Green And Growing

Rain, followed by days of sunshine and temps in the 60s, has caused a growth spurt of grasses in the pastures and not just mine.  All the hills on the drive to town are green, too.  There were some happy cattle and horses chowing down on the fresh vegetation.  I wish there were better places to pull over off the road because I'd love to get a picture of the calves and foals that are beginning to appear.  There is a fair amount of water in the middle fork of the Cosumnes River and that's a good thing.  During drought years, one could walk across and barely get one's shoes wet.  It's not just people who suffer in a drought.  Wild things depend on the rivers for water, too.

I've cut back on the amount of alfalfa for the girls, as they prefer the green stuff.  It's the time of year when their milk is the best, if they were still producing.  I've got to remember to put milk on the grocery list, and eggs, as well.  It's been so long since I've had to buy either.

After the trials of the day before, yesterday was a day of rest and I was determined to finish the third of Ken Follett's trilogy, "Edge Of Eternity."  They are fictionalized historical novels, beginning with World War I and coming forward through the Cold War, and have been fascinating to read.  Having lived through World War II and on, I was familiar with the events portrayed.  I liked all in the series, but particularly the last one, and had been doling out servings instead of devouring the book in one gulp because I just didn't want it to end.  I'd promised to loan it to Arden when I'd finished and she's been waiting impatiently for me to finally put it down.  I let her know yesterday that I was done.

Boy, that coffee tasted good this morning!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

So glad you are back to your morning coffee routine! I don't read fast enough to devour, but I know what you mean about doling out and not wanting to end. I bet Arden was silently cheering!!