Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Comes A Time

Thoroughly inculcated by Depression Era parents with the mantra, "Use it up, wear it out, make do," it's a habit that is hard to break.  I realized some time ago that my favorite quilted flannel jacket was getting raggedy around the cuffs, there were a few holes here and there, and more than a couple of buttons were missing, but it was still serviceable (no, really).  It was like reaching for an old friend each chilly morning and in cold weather I have worn it day and night.  Let's face it, I'm a little ragged around the edges, too, and who am I to judge?  There comes a time, however, and yesterday when a big tear in the sleeve happened just because I was reaching for the feed bucket, I knew it was time to retire Jacket.  I felt like I should hum Taps as I stuffed it into the trash bin.  I had to do it right away; to hesitate would be my defeat.  It's hard to let go.  Sigh.

There is a jacket in training, a blue one.  It's been held in reserve as my go-to-town jacket and it's missing only a few buttons.  It's been called to duty as my everyday barn coat now.  We don't have a relationship yet, but that will come in time.

It, it appears, is intent on building a condo under the shed.  In addition to the hole in front, I noticed he's started construction on another pit to the side of the porch, possibly a granny flat for the in-laws.  I don't need one It moving in, let alone a whole extended family.  It's time to empty the litter box and put a stop to this right now.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

So long, farewell, old trusty jacket!! May ol' blue become like an ol' shoe...soon! Good luck with IT!