Friday, January 12, 2018

Running On Empty

The other day I made an offhand remark about being able to do without coffee.  I was wrong.  Even though I drink only one cup each morning, being deprived yesterday gave me a nagging, low-grade headache.  Believe me, I am savoring each sip this morning.  The instructions prior to a CT (computed tomography) and PET (positron emission tomography) were explicit regarding diet and fasting.  Due to scheduling, I ended up going nearly 36 hours without eating, and found it's much easier to go without food than without a cup of coffee.  I had to laugh; after starting the fast, nearly every commercial on television advertised some restaurant or such with succulent steaks, shrimp, lobster, hamburgers, chicken; a taco looked good to me and pizza had me drooling.  Not nice.

The tests were to see if any cancer cells had migrated to other body parts.  Prep for the tests were easy (at one point I fell asleep) but lengthy, over two hours, but going through the machines took all of twelve minutes.  Just as it was with the radiation treatments, it was very much like being in an episode of Star Trek.  I kept expecting to see Bones (Dr. Leonard McCoy) instead of Robert, the technician who guided me through the process.

I'd have thought I'd be ravenous when I got home, but, honestly, nothing sounded good and I settled for a small packet of graham crackers for dinner, shared with Bess Anne.  Tessie acted like she'd never been balky and went to her room without delay last night.  It was a long, long day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw I'm sorry that the scheduling put you in a position of going without for so long. Sometimes it's a crapshoot in terms of when one gets seen. Unlike you, my daughter in law does not do well without food in the morning and this year she has had her share of procedures, and to start one mid day when she could not eat in the morning, puts her body in nauseating stress BEFORE the medical people put her body in stress. Glad you got thru with a just a nagging headache and a graham-cracker reward.