Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Leaks

The sky was leaking, the barn had leaks, and my shoes also sprang leaks yesterday.  If I had a boat, I certainly wouldn't take it out on the water because I'd spring a leak and sink for sure.  It had rained steadily throughout the night before and the rain continued all day long.  It rained last night, and it's raining still this morning.  Bess must be living a charmed life because not five minutes before she went outside today water had been cascading off the roof (never got the gutters cleaned), but she came back in with only a slight misting on her coat.  I should be so lucky.

Bess and I both got soaked last evening when we went out to put the girls to bed.  I'd left the big room open for the girls and anticipated a bit of hoohaw getting them to come out to go to their own rooms, but it actually went pretty well, considering.  Since the sole of my shoe was loose, I squelched my way back to the house where Bessie was waiting.  She'd stayed outside just long enough to take care of business and then ducked back to the shelter of the porch, but she was wet to the skin.  Once again, I thanked Clay.  Following our limit guidelines, he always finds unique, useful Christmas gifts and some years back he had given everyone packets of ShamWows, super-absorbent reusable towels.  I keep one by the front door for just such wet occasions.  A quick rubdown and Bess was almost dry.

This isn't a particularly cold storm, but it was a day to keep the home fire burning.  That damp chill creeps into the house and settles in the bones.  Stove got a good workout and I got exercise going out for more wood to feed him.  Weather notwithstanding, I've got to make a run to town today.  I've been putting it off as long as possible, but I'm almost out of cat food.  Trust me, I might make do without coffee, but could not face the cats if their bowl goes empty.  Besides, I need new shoes.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

You did not keep your weather contained, as we, who are unaccustomed to much rain, have had it since late afternoon yesterday. I'm sure it is causing havoc in the burned out areas, but mine is not and it has been gentle enough since dawn, that it is very pleasant, and the gardens are just loving it. It's so mild that I am still wearing flip flops as it is easier than wet shoes.