Monday, January 1, 2018

Midnight Revelers

As predicted, New Year celebrations up here were punctuated by gunfire and they started early, about 11 last night.  With the price of ammunition these days and difficulty in obtaining same, I'm a little surprised at the apparent waste.  Long gone are our days of going into the causeway or the national forest (away from people and animals) for target practice and would shoot all day.  Being of a practical mind, I hoped that the midnight revelers remembered that bullets are subject to the laws of gravity.  Shot into the air, that bullet will come down...somewhere.

Years ago, and for years, there was a mini-competition in the family to see who could make the first call at midnight to wish each other Happy New Year.  Now we touch base during the day as none of us (make that few of us) stay up until the magic hour anymore.  Bess and I celebrated with a frozen pizza for dinner.  I get the good stuff and she gets bites of the crust.

Last week I watched old movies, including "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.  Yesterday I saw a stage production that was the precursor to the movie, and boy! was it ever different (and better).  It included more of the original, wonderful Irving Berlin songs, and truly had the best choreography I've ever seen.  It was, of course, on PBS, my go-to channel.

I also watched the Vikings trounce the Chicago Bears.  That was a great finish to the old year.  The Steelers also won their game, but it wasn't televised in our area.

I put a little extra in the girls' nighttime treat bowls last evening so they wouldn't feel left out.  Cheeky was prowling in the big pen, so there was no problem at all getting the girls into their stalls.  They might tolerate the cat, but would rather keep her at a distance.

Whatever its original intended use, the tall wastebasket in the bedroom has become a repository for Waldo.  If I can't find him anywhere else, I look in the wastebasket and he's looking up at me.  I'll find somewhere else for the trash.

Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy new year.  (Nice to see you back, Kit!)

No comments: