Saturday, January 20, 2018

Migration

I always take my Kids' advice when they tout me to a particular television program because they know me pretty well.  I rarely return the favor for the same reason.  Somehow I can't imagine Dave being as enthralled with "Victoria" or "Downton Abbey" as I.  This week Pete suggested I might enjoy watching reruns of "Planet Earth"on the new, big TV screen and he was right.  The clarity and detail of marvelous photography is astounding in HD.  I've particularly enjoyed seeing the migration of birds and animals in this series.

Years ago I was fortunate enough to take a trip to Alaska and remember standing at the base of the Mendenhall Glacier in awe, looking at the colors, watching it periodically calve, and knowing that it was constantly on the move.  I'm watching something similar in the mirror now (hoping nothing will drop off).  My black eye is no longer black, fading to shades of purple with touches of yellow.  The swelling has gone from the upper lid to the lower and is also lessening, almost gone.  Like the Mendenhall, the colors are, however, on the move.  Gravity being what it is, they are migrating down my cheek.  Were it not my face, I might feel differently and I try not to take it personally.  It is pretty fascinating as I never know what I'm going to see every day.  I do wish I could just change channels and make it go away, all the same.

The temperature was dropping last evening when I put, or tried to put, the kids to bed.  Tessie pulled her "maybe I will" stunt and I was losing patience waiting for her in the cold.  She seems to have a sense of when I'm at the end of my tether and she finally gave in and came in.  Whew.  It's very probable she could get a whiff of Cheeky (Miss C, as I now think of her) who had tucked herself into a back stall, but it's up to those two to get along.  Neither is going to attack the other, and it's any port in a storm for both.

Rather than light a fire last night, the four of us huddled together under and on Deb's luxurious afghan in the chair.  Crowded, you bet, but warm.  It was good practice for when we all migrated down the hall together and took our self-assigned places in bed.

It's 28 degrees this morning.

No comments: