Thursday, February 15, 2018

A Mystery

"Birds of a feather flock together," so the saying goes and it's true for the most part.  Once in awhile I'll see a crow or two riding the thermals with the vultures, but for the most part all the species keep themselves to themselves.  I get used to a particular group behaving in what becomes a characteristic way.  For instance, turkeys are pedestrians.  They are certainly capable of flight, but prefer to walk everywhere.  Woodpeckers peck, dinky birds hop and scurry, hawks soar; it's just what they do.

I see vultures all the time, either circling in the air (in flight, that's called a kettle) or sunning themselves on posts, poles, or in the trees (a group is called a committee).  That's what they do.  Yesterday, all the vultures in the photo, 16 of them, were on the ground just inside the goat pen.  Not only that, they didn't take flight when I walked closer and closer.  Believe me, that is unusual for these huge, elegant birds.  Also, when they did take off, the whole flock flew together to the dead tree over the barn.  Again, they stayed put as I came forward.  Normally they disperse to other areas if they've gathered in the morning when I approach.  I'd love to know what caused them to behave in such a different, unexpected way.  Ah, the mysteries of life sure keep it interesting.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Was there carrion on the ground that they hesitated to leave when you approached??? Fascinating!