Monday, February 19, 2018

Off To The Races

Daybreak was sunny and bright yesterday, but before I walked out the door, the sky darkened and a cold, cold wind kicked up.  Missy was waiting in her stall and rubbed against my hand when I put food in her dish.  Then she decided it would be a good idea to come with me to bring the goats out.  Imagining the panic and chaos that would cause, I had to tell her to, "Go to your room!"  Although the chance of rain was slim, I left the door to the big room open so the girls could get inside where they'd at least be out of the wind.

I was loading a second wagon of wood to bring to the porch when Clay rode up the driveway.  Rode up!  Believe me, it was not motorcycle weather.  He said it had been a nice morning down in the valley when he left and he hadn't hit the cold until he got to Plymouth, where it was too late to turn back.  I was so glad that I'd lit Stove before chores so Clay could thaw out indoors.

There were so many wrecks during the Daytona 500, they should have called it "Wait for The Big One" Talladega.  Jimmy Johnson (Clay's driver) got taken out early and Clint Bowyer (my guy) finished a lap down.  Sigh.  At least the NASCAR season has begun.

I had put dinner in the oven, timed to come out when the race was over.  As much as I didn't want to rush him, I really wanted Clay to get on the road before dark.  I sure didn't envy that icy ride home.  Sure enough, not thirty minutes after he left it started pounding hail.  I hoped he'd missed it, but he messaged me later that he'd ridden right into it.  Aaargh.  I got a good pelting from a second burst when I put the girls to bed.

It was grand to spend a day with my Kid.  We never seem to run out of topics for conversation and he is just plain good company.  Time is such a gift, never to be taken for granted.

It's down in the 20s this morning.  There is still a coating of yesterday's unmelted hail on the deck, frozen hard enough that Bessie didn't even leave paw prints when she went out for her constitutional.  I was to meet Dave and members of Freed Spirits today for lunch.  The plan was that they would ride their motorcycles up to Pleasant Valley.  As disappointing as it will be, with this weather I don't think that's going to happen. 

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Time is indeed such a gift - NEVER to be taken for granted! Amen!! I spent time in your neck of the woods over the long weekend as I drove from Pasadena to the Arcadia/Monrovia border and then back and forth to the Alhambra/San Marino border on both Colorado Blvd. and Huntington Drive. Sunday was gorgeous and warm, but Monday was windy and very cool as our temps also plummeted...must have been statewide!