Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Be Prepared

Walking down to the barn in the sunshine yesterday, I thought to myself, "This is the kind of winter I can handle.  A day or two of rain or snow, followed by sun and blue sky."  After breakfast, the girls found their favorite spots in the pasture to lie down and soak up some warmth.

Before chores, I had put beef short ribs and a homemade barbecue sauce in the crock pot because Camille was coming for dinner.  I am so lucky to have friends to share meals; I love to cook, but it's so much more fun to cook for someone.  Using the crock pot isn't exactly "cooking," but it sure does a good job with little work.  Ribs, creamy mashed potatoes, and a variety of vegetables simmered in white wine made a nice menu.  Cam had been up to Apple Hill and brought me 20 pounds of a couple of types of apples.  I see pies in my future.

More wood to the porch to keep Stove happy, but one wagon load isn't going to do it for what is coming and that is on the To-Do list today.  The prediction is not for one or two inches of snow, but for perhaps two feet in the next couple of days, beginning tonight.  Once upon a time, long, long ago, I was a Girl Scout and have never forgotten the motto, "Be prepared."  Today I will stack the porch rack to the top.  There is plenty of bottled water, just in case.  When we get a heavy snowfall in a short time, either someone spins out on the road and hits a pole, or a tree or branch falls on a power line and we lose electricity.  There is a supply of just about every size of battery that might be needed.  Note to self:  fill the oil lamps and trim the wicks.  I have a couple of unread books that will help while away the evenings if necessary.  I'm well stocked on food for all the critters and myself, and have a good supply of toilet paper.  Don't laugh, some things are critical!

At any rate, I'm about as prepared as I can be.  I sure did enjoy the sunshine yesterday.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like you are in GOOD shape...let the games begin!