Friday, February 23, 2018

Reprieve

Whew!  I received a call yesterday morning saying that Doctor was sick and needed to reschedule my afternoon appointment.  Was that okay?  Oh, you bet!

While down in the barn, there were flurries of what, for lack of a better term, I call "popcorn."  Not hail, not snowflakes, but tiny, very light pellets of white ice that bounce when they hit the ground like popcorn.  It lasted only a few minutes and was over by the time the girls went outside, but it was a portent of what was to come.

I'd planned to take care of a few chores as long as I had to go down to town.  Glad as I was not to have to make the big trip, it seemed prudent to go up to the grocery store and stock up on a few things while the roads were still dry.  I got Stove going good before leaving so I didn't come home to cat- and pupsicles.  Just after unloading the truck at home, there was another dusting of "popcorn," and not long after that it began to snow in earnest, right about the time I would have been on the road to Cameron Park.  As I've said to friends, sitting in my living room when it's snowing is like being in a real-life snow globe because one end of the room is all windows and, technically being on the second floor, you can't see the snow hitting the ground.  The view is simply swirling snowflakes, and it's lovely. 

It had stopped by the girls' bedtime.  Cam called and asked me to phone her when I got back from the barn.  My caring friend wanted to make sure I hadn't slipped and fallen on the icy path.  Knowing she also had a hill to climb when doing her barn chores, I asked her to do the same for me.  We both made it back to our houses safely.  I'm sure her animals, like mine, didn't hesitate to go to their rooms last night.

Twenty degrees this morning.  Bess asked to go outside, took one look at the four inches of snow, and changed her mind.  She's up on the bed behind me now.  I don't blame her.  It will look much better in the daylight.  Ralph is warming his little pink toes on my lap and Celeste is going up and down the hall crooning to Al, the 'Gator.  All's right in my world.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

We've been having cold, but NOTHING like yours! Can you believe that I was in may 40s before I saw the snow fall?? I had been in the snow before, but never when it was coming from the sky. Nothing like it!!